Monday, April 19, 2010

Humor helps keep life in perspective!

Ha-ha, hey you all know I love you and this is why I tease you! Plus you know me I am so careful nothing would harm me I hope so. This has all been so new and exciting and spiritually up-lifting in ways I would have never thought. Being called as an assistant was a very humbling experience and I felt so grateful for someone to give me the nice complements that he did. I really did not feel they were all true so it makes me want to do all I can to show him and the lord who they think I am and work harder and harder to become and keep trying to become more and more like the savior. What happened is on Sat night before the week of moves an assistant can be called, and as Elder Roberts was going home a new assistant was going to be called. That night we had a call from the Assistants to give us some announcements and what not but then before the end of the call they handed it over to president and he talked with elder Ellsworth for a min and then we and asked if I would like to sleep on a blow up bed...ha-ha and come and work with him a little more closer as his assistant. As this was all unfolding my heart was pumping and mind racing thinking I am not good enough for something like this, there are so many missionaries that are better than me for this and wow this is an overwhelming feeling but then as I talked with president I felt something, the spirit of peace and calmness overcame me and I knew it would all be alright if I kept relying on God and that sole thing then there would be nothing to worry about and that was it. I packed that night and they came the next day after church and picked me up and we went straight to presidents’ house to assist on moves and get things rolling. This life is all about this, it’s about progression, change and in the right direction is the way the Lord intended for us. All things in the gospel are directed to this sole purpose because in so doing we will be prepared to enter into his rest and joy and experience all that we has as we are his spirit children and can have everything because of his great and eternal love. I love this gospel it is exciting and joyful and to put it plainly it all good and nothing bad. My new companion is Elder Christensen from Delta Utah; he is an amazing missionary and friend already. He makes so many sacrifices and is so kind and loving and patient with me as many of the things that we are doing are new to him. I really love this guy, he is teaching me loads and I am looking forward to the times we will be able to spend together. My new address is now the temple address, so you already have that. We live about a 5 min drive from the temple which is also about a 30-45 min drive from Presidents home. Elder Ellsworth did stay in Peckham and his new companion is actually Elder Allred ha-ha from Calgary Canada, he is the best of the best even though he is a really young missionary I love him to death. Such a humble and hard working servant of the lord and a sly confidence that is a very good trait. We will always remain close I talk to him often and we were at a meeting together today at Presidents house so it is all good. These past few days have been a blur and a blessing. I am learning so much, soaking things up like a sponge and trying to get a feeling of everything and see how I can best help. We do a lot of training and teaching and traveling and exchanges. It is go go go, which is good and awesome to see the Lord help out and direct the going of us. That is the KEY to life I feel, be directed by the lord and it will all be okay and that is linked with faith and other great principles as well. We mustn't be directed by the world or our own selfish desires or the father of all lies, this is only going to led us to a pit of waste and unhappiness and pain and misery. No one wants that, I know, because we are all intelligent beings, that's debatable, but none the less we all want one thing, happiness? Am I right? And the only way we can have TRUE Happiness is within the Plan of Happiness. No other way. Not in the slightest. We sometimes think we can but oh how wrong we are. The gospel is simply beautiful and beautiful simple. "The Lord preserveth the simple: I was brought low, and he helped me."- Psalms 116:6
"And he did straiten them in the wilderness with his rod; for they hardened their hearts, even as ye have; and the Lord straitened them because of their iniquity. He sent fiery flying serpents among them; and after they were bitten he prepared a way that they might be healed; and the labor which they had to perform was to look; and because of the simpleness of the way, or the easiness of it, there were many who perished." - 1 Nephi 17:41 Let not the simpleness lead us to perish but let it led us to Life Eternal. You’re all so amazing I love you all so much and thanks for all you do and it really and truly means a lot to me. Have a great week and go and make someone laugh this week and share the gospel as this the greatest work we can undertake. President was saying today in a meeting, “It’s the lord’s time, and my gift to him" we must love the lord because he first loved us. Have a great week and talk to you all later!

Lots of love from
Elder Garren Allred

No comments: